4-year BS in Development Studies
The importance of Development Studies as a field of study and research is being recognized all over the world. This is an interdisciplinary field of study has been accorded due importance by governments, particularly developing countries where institutions of higher learning and research including are continuously studying the diverse developmental challenges they face and how to overcome challenges with innovative ideas and problem solving approach. With the growing realization of the possible contribution of Development Studies in helping solve the complex issues of governance and development a number of developing countries are also strengthening this field of study in their academia and research institutes.
Interest in development studies as an interdisciplinary field of study and research has increased in Pakistan as well where over half a dozen HEC recognized universities and Institutes are offering BS in Development studies allover Pakistan. However, none of the universities in Karachi are offering BS degree in Development Studies. Therefore the need is there to equip the students with a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of contemporary development issues, and how have some countries been able to solve such issues and others haven’t.
Since Malir University is committed to building a knowledge-based society guided by the problem solving approach in dealing with the developmental and other issues, its BS Program in Development Studies focuses on development processes in different areas and regions of Pakistan. The program’s courses will provide students with theoretical and disciplinary foundations. In addition, will enables them to go for in-depth analysis of developmental problems being faced by the societies at local, regional and national and international levels.
The BS Program in Development Studies is designed to provide a broad spectrum that reflects the interdisciplinary nature of the subject. This program will be of four years duration, divided into eight regular semesters. It requires completion of 144 credit hours of course work including a thesis and 3 credit hours of internship of six weeks in a public sector, non-governmental or international organization. In order to obtain the BS degree in 4 years, students will be required to take a load of eighteen credit hours (six courses) in each semester. Later the University intends offering MS and MPhil degrees in Development Studies.
- Intermediate with 45% marks including first year and A-Levels with minimum 3 passes
Objectives of the Program
The 4-Year BS degree in Development Studies:
- The students will be trained to develop critical thinking, acquire technological and communicational skills, and round it off with an applied education about society and development.
- The program stresses knowledge and skill development necessary for students to function effectively in entry-level jobs and to enjoy productive professional careers.
- The University aims to deploy all possible resources effectively and efficiently to attain recognition across the globe.
- The University is committed to provide higher education in the most demanding and traditional as well as newly emerging fields, optimally using the modern educational techniques to its maximum advantage.
- We foresee to inculcate the ability in students to be risk-takers and innovators, having team spirit, passion and integrity.
- Consequently, the program pays particular attention to the development of students' written and oral communication skills.
- It aims to build bridges between knowledge houses and society and encourages students to not only develop an understanding of the development issues but to also have enhanced awareness of their obligation towards the development of human societies.
Outcomes of the Program
- We groom our students to find effective prudent solutions through problem based learning.
- The students are equipped with robust knowledge of economics, business, social development, computing and social sciences which help them to solve problems.
- They are trained to excel their entrepreneurial, business and managementknowledge and skills, create ideas, and then execute those ideas in such a way that work ethics, universal values and the spirit of social entrepreneurship are not compromised.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
- Incorporate diversity and multicultural perspectives when making decisions while working at the public or private sector organizations or doing business.
- SKILLED FACULTY
- HIGHEST RATED
- HEC RECOGNIZED
- ONLINE TRAINING
BS in Development Studies-Program Structure
VICE CHANCELLOR MESSAGE
- The University has a commitment that no student shall be deprived of gaining education due to economic limitations or because of belonging to under-privileged classes or marginalized sections of society. We aim to render quality education which the students will treasure for the rest of their lives. I look forward to welcoming you to our diverse and vibrant higher education system.